University Park, Penn. –The 2019 Penn State baseball schedule unveiled Tuesday by head coach Rob Cooper features 28 game dates (29 games) in Medlar Field at Lubrano Park, 15 games against 2018 NCAA Tournament teams and the continuation of several Big Ten and regional matchups.
The Nittany Lions open the season Friday, Feb. 15 against Monmouth at the USA Baseball National Training Center in Cary, North Carolina. The three-game series is the first of a stretch of 10 neutral site and four road games before the home opener slated for Friday, Mar. 15. The Nittany Lions will host UMass Lowell during the opening series, playing four games in three days with a doubleheader Saturday.
· The 56-game schedule includes five opponents that participated in the 2018 NCAA Baseball tournament. Duke advanced to a Super Regional, while Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue and Ohio State were Regional participants.
· Penn State will open the season with back-to-back trips to the USA Baseball National Training Center in Cary, North Carolina, playing Monmouth during the first weekend (Feb. 15-17) and Fairfield (Feb. 22-24) during the second.
· Penn State will head south to the Sunshine State for Spring Break, playing Duke at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida (Mar. 1-3) and at UCF in Orlando (Mar. 8-10).
· Penn State plays eight Big Ten series, hosting Minnesota (Mar. 22-24), Nebraska (Apr. 12-14), Maryland (Apr. 26-28) and Rutgers (May 3-5), while traveling to Purdue (Mar. 29-31), Indiana (Apr. 5-7), Illinois (Apr. 19-21) and Ohio State (May 10-12).
· Additional Autonomy Five non-conference matchups include home-and-home series against Pittsburgh (Mar. 12 [A] & Apr. 10 [H]) and West Virginia (Apr. 17 [H] & Apr. 23 [A]) and a three-game series against Arizona (May 16-18) to conclude the regular season.