Champaign, Ill. –Bren Spillane was named the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Player of the Week, the third Illinois player in program history to earn the prestigious award. Spillane joins Dusty Bensko (April 12, 2005) and J.R. Kyes (May 10, 2005) as the only other Illini to earn the award.
Spillane was also named the NCAA.com Player of the Week and was one of eight named as Collegiate Baseball Newspaper National Players of the Week. He earned his second straight Big Ten Player of the Week award and the Illini’s fourth in a row.
Illinois is up to No. 12 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll. The Illini are No. 22 by Baseball America and No. 25 by D1Baseball.com.
Spillane Weekly Notes
• Led Illinois in average (.643), on-base percentage (.737), slugging (1.500), doubles (3), homers (3), RBIs (10), runs (7), total bases (21), walks (5) and steals (3) during the perfect 4-0 week
• Reached base at least three times in every game of the week
• Two HR against CSUN on Tuesday
• Eight RBIs against CSUN is the most by a Big Ten player this season
• Homered against Northwestern on Friday
• Scored the winning run in extra innings against Northwestern on Saturday
• 3-for-4 in the extra-inning win against Northwestern on Sunday
• At least one extra-base hit in all four games of the week
• 3-for-4 on steals during the weekend against Northwestern